POLICY AND PROJECT OFFICER
- Location: Canberra
- Duration: 14 months – Until December 2022 with possible extension
- Hours: Full time
- Remuneration: Level 5.1 SACS award
The Federation of Ethnic Communities’ Councils of Australia (FECCA) is the national peak body for multicultural advocacy. At the heart of FECCA’s work is promoting multiculturalism, embodied in equitable policies and non‑discriminatory practices for all Australians, regardless of their cultural, linguistic, ethnic, racial or religious backgrounds. Toward this end, FECCA strives to ensure that the needs and aspirations of various cohorts of Australia’s culturally, ethnically and linguistically diverse population are heard by policy and decision makers, as well as the broader public.
FECCA adheres to the principles and practices of equal employment opportunity, industrial democracy, and occupational health and safety. All FECCA staff are expected to contribute to applying these principles and practices in the workplace.
KEY POSITION OBJECTIVES
This position will be responsible for supporting the coordination and implementation of a national aged care navigation program led by FECCA. The program aims to provide active outreach and engagement to support older people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, their families and carers to better understand and engage with the aged care system.
The position will also be involved in identifying issues impacting on Australians from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, developing solutions and providing high level policy advice, including through submissions to both government and non-government inquiries and policy reviews. The position will contribute to FECCA’s work in multicultural health and supports FECCA’s policy advisory committees in their respective areas of work.
The position reports to the Director of Policy – Health & Ageing and works collaboratively with the FECCA team and selected community partners and stakeholders.
Reporting to this position: None
- Support coordination of a national aged care navigation program, including any necessary administration, day-to-day problem solving, monitoring and evaluation tasks, and stakeholder management
- Support policy development, research and analysis on issues impacting older people in Australia from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds
- Support routine and regular consultations with FECCA member organisations and partners, together with other consultations on specific issues with relevant organisations
- Organise and provide secretariat support to selected FECCA Committees and Communities of Practice including organising teleconferences, taking minutes, and facilitating information distribution to Committee members.
- Undertaking other tasks on an ad hoc basis, as required
Applicants should be aware that at times this role may involve interstate travel.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
- Demonstrated understanding or lived experience of issues of importance to people from culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds
- Previous experience working in CALD social policy, grants management or health/aged care service delivery
- Demonstrated experience in project implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills including the capacity to adapt to the needs of a range of audiences, including people from CALD backgrounds
- Good analytical skills and demonstrated ability to engage with quantitative and qualitative research evidence to produce high-quality reports and advocacy materials
- Ability to work in a fast paced and dynamic work environment, highly self-motivated, self-driven and flexible
- Ability to work professionally as part of a team in a positive and supportive manner.
- A tertiary qualification in a field related to social, health or public policy
- Understanding of issues of importance to older people of CALD backgrounds and/or aged care services
- Understanding of government processes, working with NGOs, and the advocacy and policy development process
For more information please contact Christina (Office Manager) on 02 6282 5755 or email@example.com, using the subject line: Policy and Project Officer enquiry.