Policy and Project Officer
Applications close: 30 August 2020
Hours: Full time, 75 hours per fortnight
Remuneration: Level 5.1 SACS award
FECCA is the peak body which represents diverse multicultural communities in Australia. FECCA’s national office, located in Canberra, is staffed by a small and professional team. FECCA is responsible for a range of activities, including providing secretariat services to the FECCA Executive, working with and lobbying the Australian Government and its agencies as well as the business and the non-government sectors, and promoting access and equity for all Australians from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds. FECCA supports the national agenda on multiculturalism, including the promotion of racial, religious, ethnic and cultural harmony in the community.
KEY POSITION OBJECTIVES
This position will be responsible for supporting the implementation of FECCA’s component of the National Community Connector Program. This program aims to provide active outreach to support culturally and linguistically diverse people with disabilities to better understand and engage with the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS). FECCA is responsible for managing subcontractors across 4 states and territories who will provide 36 Community Connectors.
The position will also be involved in identifying issues impacting on Australians from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, developing solutions and providing high level policy advice, including through submissions to both government and non-government inquiries and policy reviews. The position will contribute to FECCA’s multicultural access and equity work and supports FECCA’s policy advisory committees in their respective areas of work.
The position reports to the Director of Policy and Advocacy and works collaboratively with the FECCA team and selected volunteer community representatives.
- Provide ongoing project support for the National Community Connector Project, including any necessary administration, day-to-day problem solving, monitoring and evaluation tasks, and stakeholder management.
- Support policy development, research and analysis on issues impacting people in Australia from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds
- Support routine and regular consultations with FECCA member organisations and partners, together with other consultations on specific issues with relevant organisations.
- Organise and provide secretariat support to selected FECCA Committees, including organising teleconferences, taking minutes, and facilitating information distribution to Committee members.
- Undertaking other tasks on an ad hoc basis, as required.
Applicants should be aware that at times this role may involve interstate travel.
FECCA adheres to the principles and practices of equal employment opportunity, industrial democracy, and occupational health and safety. All FECCA staff are expected to contribute to applying these principles and practices in the workplace.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
- Demonstrated understanding or lived experience of issues of importance to people from culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds.
- Demonstrated experience in project implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills including the capacity to adapt to the needs of a range of audiences, including people from CALD backgrounds.
- Good analytical skills and demonstrated ability to engage with quantitative and qualitative research evidence to produce high-quality reports and advocacy materials.
- Ability to work in a fast paced and dynamic work environment, highly self-motivated, self-driven and flexible
- Ability to work professionally as part of a team in a positive and supportive manner.
- Experience working in disability support or advocacy; and with the NDIS
- Tertiary qualifications in a relevant discipline.
For more information please contact Christina (office manager) on 02 6282 5755 or firstname.lastname@example.org.