Applications close on 26 March 2023. See full job description here.
The Federation of Ethnic Communities’ Councils of Australia (FECCA) is the national peak body representing people from multicultural communities and their organisations across Australia. Through the membership of state, territory, and regional councils, we represent over 1,500 community organisations and their members. For over 40 years, FECCA has proudly worked alongside culturally and linguistically diverse communities, the broader Australian society and the Commonwealth government to build an inclusive multicultural Australia.
At the heart of FECCA’s work is promoting multiculturalism, embodied in equitable policies and non-discriminatory practices for all Australians, regardless of their cultural, linguistic, ethnic, racial, or religious backgrounds. FECCA strives to ensure that the needs and aspirations of various cohorts of Australia’s culturally, ethnically, and linguistically diverse population are heard by policy and decision makers, as well as the broader public. We work to promote fairness and responsiveness to our constituency in the delivery and design of government policies and programs, and we promote multiculturalism as a core value that defines what it means to be Australian in the 21st century.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Communications manager is a bright, proactive, strategic, and capable individual who will join the leadership team and reports to the CEO. They are responsible for the development and implementation of communication strategies, to enhance and support FECCA’s influence and impact. They will deliver effective and innovative communications, marketing, and member engagement services across the Federation.
The Communications Manager plays a pivotal role in overseeing all internal and external communications within FECCA and working with senior staff to conceptualise, plan and deliver successful engagement strategies and initiatives for the organisation. The role interacts closely with the FECCA policy teams to continue to build and promote FECCA’s work as a credible representative of Multicultural Australia.
The successful candidate will be proactive and hands-on with strong communication and media skills, as well as the ability to lead, and think strategically to move the organisation forward in this role. You are a self-driven problem solver who thrives on the challenge of delivering amazing communications, marketing and building engagement. Your outgoing personality helps you build and manage effective relationships with your team, members and key industry stakeholders.
- Develop and lead the communications and engagement strategy for FECCA
- Work closely and collaboratively across teams, especially with the leadership team, and coordinate communications activities
- Develop communications products, support events, produce content, manage media relations and engagement initiatives
- Develop short/long form written content for social and communication channels
- Develop publications and printed materials
- Manage all social and communication channels, including developing and managing stories, press releases, op-eds, social media, and website content
- Liaise with external suppliers, as well as the media, sponsors, partners and stakeholders
- Monitor, analyse and report on communication strategies and effectiveness
- Supervise a small team of staff and the coordination of communications activities
- Engage proactively with FECCA membership to cross promote bilateral work
- Support the leadership with reports and insights relating to specific programs and initiatives
Some interstate travel may be required from time to time.
We are committed to nurturing a diverse team of professionals. People from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are especially encouraged to apply.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a senior communications or similar roles
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Excellent communication and people skills critical in developing collaborative relationships with a range of stakeholders
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced work environment, takes initiative, and requires minimal supervision
- Ability to work professionally as part of a team in a positive and supportive environment, while also being able to lead from the front
- Demonstrated skills managing social media channels (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Demonstrated experience working with comms tools and platforms, including WordPress
- Proven ability to manage a brand across all channels, programs and products and seeking new opportunities to promote and strengthen the brand
- Relevant tertiary qualification (such as marketing, media, government relations, communications, or public/social policy)
- Working photography and video skills
- Graphic design and publication skills
- Demonstrated understanding or lived experience of issues impacting people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds
- Previous experience in multicultural advocacy/lobbying, or multicultural community engagement and outreach
- Demonstrated understanding of principles of community engagement and co-design
- Good understanding of the machinery of government and how to influence
- Good networks and connections into media circles
- Resilience and the ability to handle difficult situations or change with maturity
- Excellent communicator
- Result driven
- A contagious positive attitude and good nature
WORKING AT FECCA
We are proudly an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We also offer a range of incentives to encourage, support, attract and retain staff, including:
- Flexibility to work between the hours of 7:00 am and 7:00 pm, Monday to Friday as negotiated
- A hybrid of in-office and work-from-home arrangements
- Generous salary and above-market pay
- Paid parental leave
- Paid birthday leave
- Additional paid leave during the shutdown at the end of the year holiday period
- Personal and professional development opportunities
- Flexible and supportive work culture
- Friendly, fun, passionate, and dedicated colleagues
- Opportunity to travel interstate
For any query, please contact Christina Ng (Office Manager) on 02 6282 5755 or email@example.com using the subject line: Communications Manager enquiry